Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Math FTW

As you better know by now, I am a MAJOR nerd. Like, I spend my days drawing math-y things, make paper chains out of Mobius strips, and adore Sierpinski and Fibonacci (might even name my children after that trio!!). So I decided to make a math post today.


Many of you have probably at least heard of a Mobius strip. In essence, it is a one-sided figure. You can make one by taking a rectangle of paper, twisting it once, and taping the ends together. To the right is a super cool story made on a Mobius strip! (By one of my favorite YouTubers, ViHart. Check out her channel. It's fantastically nerdy.)
Mobius strips are common everywhere. Conveyor belts, typewriter ribbons, scarves, everything.












Add caption
Sierpinski time!! The Sierpinski triangle is a fractal. (A fractal is basically a shape made out of itself. If you're still confused, just look at the pretty picture.) I don't really know what makes it so schnazzy. I just think it looks cool. Which, quite frankly, is all that matters to me. 
That, too, is from ViHart. Except, this time, it's her website.
















FIBONACCI!! Oh, how I love thee. The Fibonacci sequence is magical and found EVERYWHERE!! The spiral of shells, numbers of branches/leaves/petals, in architecture, pinecones, everywhere!! (Its first two numbers are 0 and 1. From there, you add the previous two numbers to get the next term. Example:
0,1,1,2,3,5,8,13,etc. It grows very big, very fast.) You can also make a Golden Rectangle out of the numbers by making squares with the same dimensions as the numbers. (A 1x1 square, a 2x2 square, etc.) and, if you connect the corners, it makes the Golden Spiral. Fibonacci is magical.
Source
A beautiful short film centered around the Fibonacci sequence.

No comments:

Post a Comment