Sunday, December 18, 2011

I'm just that pimp

So, every week in AP Human Geography, we have to read a chapter of "The World Is Flat" and write a one-page summary of the chapter. I felt pretty pimp because, last week, I managed to reference BOTH Hamlet AND Yoda in my first paragraph. It made me happy. Especially since I knew the quotes.. I didn't have to Google them. I have a mind for quotes. So.. Here is my uberly exciting first paragraph:

   The ninth chapter of “The World Is Flat”  is entitled “This Is Not a Test”. Friedman titled it so because he discusses how we have to change or drown. For years, we have been told that we better change to keep up with the changes. Friedman now says that we don’t have time to piddle and ponder over to change or not to change. “Hamlet” is outdated. The question “to be or not to be” cannot stand in our world anymore. We must now follow Yoda, “do or do not, there is no try.” This isn’t just a Cold War. The war of business, of outsourcing, of modern times, is red-hot and happening on our doorstep. Friedman tells us that, to keep up with the flattened world, we must change. America is ignoring this problem, comfortable in being “on top.” Stressing the importance of change, of knocking down political barriers and other walls, Friedman shakes America awake. While providing real-life examples, Friedman encourages hard workers, creativity, and life-long learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment