Friday, August 10, 2012

We vs. Me

ego vs. soul
Source
So, I just recently came across this image. And I love the general message it conveys. However, I do have some issues with it.
1) Me vs. We. We're taught that we can never think of ourselves and put ourselves first. That we must always be caring, and giving, and put others first. I'm here to say: No. Stop that. Put yourself first. Not all the time. A 24/7 "me, me, me" attitude isn't healthy. And nobody likes it. I wouldn't want to be friends with somebody that ONLY thought about their selves. However, you do need to put yourself first sometimes. Don't go through life people-pleasing. Because, if you give up everything to make others happy, what happens when they leave? You're just lost and don't know who you are anymore. So, putting ourselves first needs to be taught and people need to know that it's OK to do sometimes.
2) Pride. Pride is not negative. Again, in small enough doses, it's excellent to have. Of course, you can be too prideful. But society is watered down and to think that we're something worth noticing is negative. If people show an inkling of pride, they're conceited, self-loving, and terrible. But that isn't true. There's a difference between thinking that you're pretty, or that you have a nice butt, or that you're really good at something, and thinking that you are just all-that-and-a-bag-of-chips. We need to be proud of ourselves. It's OK to do.
Those are really the only things I have big problems with. Of course, we can't just live for the now. Now, it's easier not to do my homework. But, how is that going to affect my future? Or what's the benefit of eating the avocado as opposed to the pizza? We need to think of the future. And we can't entirely ignore our past. It's what made us who we are today. Power isn't necessarily a bad thing. Too much of it, yes. But to just be powerful? Nah. Susan B. Anthony had power, and she used it properly. Voldemort had power, and he used it improperly. It's all just how you use that power and what you do with it. 
Actually, everything is just about how you use it and what you do with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment